Saturday, September 5, 2009

College Football !! Blessed be thy name !!

Well how do you do sports fans ? Good heavens the college football season started in earnest today and all I can say is WOW !!! . I've been so preoccupied with the upcoming NFL season I kind of forgot about ol week one in the college ranks . That turned out to be a big mistake on my part as today's action was quite simply stupendous .

I scarcely know where to start . I can't remember the last time i was so intrigued by the first week in college ball . Even the the Thursday night game was something to watch . Despite the absolutely reprehensible sucker punch by one Legarret Blount at the end of the game there is nothing like a match up of 2 top 20 teams to kickoff the season . Even though # 14 Boise State basically dominated the # 16 Oregon Ducks all night it was still a compelling game . I knew Boise was good but since when do they push around big time schools in the trenches ? They did too , the score should have been a lot worse .

That was just Thursday . Today's action was even better . Obviously the Robo - Tebow led Florida Gators romped but how about those Oklahoma State Cowboys living up to the highest pre season rankings in school history by beating the # 13 Georgia Bulldogs ? Convincingly I might add . ( 24 -10 ) Take that SEC dominance .

Conversely the Iowa Hawkeyes had to reach down deep and block , not one , but two last second field goals to hold off a gritty Northern Iowa squad . Wow that is something you just don't see . Take a deep breath Iowa you just had a near death experience .

In a match up of top 10 teams # 5 Alabama needed all four quarters to finally put away # 7 Va Tech in a hard hitting game that was totally worth watching . The Golden Domers pitched they're first shutout since 2002 by blasting a decent Nevada team and the Naval Academy nearly took down the Ohio State Buckeyes .

Which of course brings us to the most shocking story of the day . The 20th ranked BYU Cougars knocked out Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford and proceeded to upset the 3rd ranked Sooners . What ??? Really ???

Man alive that was one exiting first week in college football . Also on a personal note my beloved Syracuse Orange actually acted like a real football team . Regardless of the fact that they blew it in overtime to the Minnesota Golden Gophers . The opposition still had it's starters playing in the fourth quarter !! That's improvement for my squad .

So if you happened to miss any of that week 1 drama , well , that's why I wrote this .

1 comment:

  1. You know I did the same thing, endlessly waiting for the NFL I completely lost track of College. I particularly enjoyed the CSu-CU game tonight.

    ReplyDelete